Is Oracle support contract needed to have Apex
Alex Zhang, June 06, 2020 - 10:06 am UTC
APEX is a no-cost feature of the Oracle Database, similar to PL/SQL. Your Oracle Database support contract also covers Oracle APEX
Question is, is oracle support contract required to have Apex. If we have Oracle DB license, but no Oracle support contract, can we install Apex new version ? Can we upgrade the Apex to latest version?
June 08, 2020 - 10:32 am UTC
APEX is included in your database licensing cost.
Speak with your account manager to ensure you're correctly licensed for Oracle Database. If you are, you can use APEX.
Jaydip, June 09, 2021 - 6:03 am UTC
We have similar situation as described in previous comment but we would like to be 100% sure before we take the decision.
The situation is,
1. Company licensed Oracle 11.x.x. Database with Oracle Support.
2. Company used Oracle APEX and built Applications in APEX version 4.2
3. Company has decided to end Oracle Support couple of years back
4. Company wants to Upgrade Oracle APEX 4.2 to 20.2
Technically, Oracle APEX 20.2 supports Oracle DB 11.x.x.
We would like to know
1. if company can upgrade/use Oracle APEX 20.2 in production and not breaching any licensing term?
2. Is there any such limitation that says "Company can only download/use Oracle APEX versions until company has active Oracle Support" ?
Thanks in advance
June 10, 2021 - 10:59 am UTC
I assumed based on 3 that you have some alternative arrangement for usage of the Oracle software. More details here https://www.oracle.com/us/assets/057419.pdf
because I'm not a license expert.
But that aside, APEX is free to use and you can use any APEX version on any version/edition of the database that they list in the installation manual.
A reader, June 15, 2021 - 3:38 am UTC
Thank you for the answer.
As we are also not sure about licensing impact and we did not get 100% sure answer of using upgraded APEX version without Active Oracle Support - we have taken a decision to step back (unfortunately).
It is also very sad when you heard "One should not download and use in production anything from Oracle website when you do not have Active Oracle Support". Is this a sad reality ?
June 16, 2021 - 6:39 am UTC
There is a difference between licensed to use Oracle and licensed to get support.
If you are licensed to use Oracle, you can use *any* version of APEX against that licensed version,